Monkey Island Madness - problems with sound in MI 1

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joshhomme

Monkey Island Madness - problems with sound in MI 1

Post by joshhomme »

I'm completely new to this website but it looks like exactly what I need.

Here's the short story: I buy "Monkey Island Madness" off eBay, I use scummvm to run the classics. Sound works for MI 2 and the MI 3 demo, but not for the original game!

More specifically, the music doesn't work. Sound effects for doors and stuff DO work. When I first inserted the CD, my itunes program came up and showed me all the music files for the game in what must have been the default format for itunes, a.k.a. not mp3 form.

So i read another post that said the solution would be to burn the audio files, reformat them as mp3 and rename them accordingly: "track1.mp3", "track2.mp3", etc. I did this and also put the mp3 files in the same directory folder as the MI 1 game files. According to that post, that would have fixed the problem.

It hasn't and I'm at a loss. Any help guys?

Thanks

Hey, I added this later but:

I read another earlier post that said the Monkey Island One uses a different system than the other two. The program scummvm needs to read the audio files as .ogg? The post said it was impossible to compress the music files into ogg. So is there ANY way to play music with Monkey Island One on scummvm or should i be content to just hum to myself?
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

On what system are you running ScummVM? It might be that your version of ScummVM wasn't compiled with MP3 support for one reason or another. But OGG and/or FLAC files should work, so you might try to convert your audio tracks into one of these formats.

--Darkstar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island Madness - problems with sound in MI 1

Post by eriktorbjorn »

joshhomme wrote:I read another earlier post that said the Monkey Island One uses a different system than the other two. The program scummvm needs to read the audio files as .ogg? The post said it was impossible to compress the music files into ogg. So is there ANY way to play music with Monkey Island One on scummvm or should i be content to just hum to myself?
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your main question, i.e. why it's not working. However, this is what I believe happens when ScummVM is asked to play CD audio track 17, which is the Monkey Island 1 intro music:
  1. If there exists a file named track17.flac or track17.fla, assume that this is a FLAC encoded version of the audio track, and play it.
  2. Otherwise, if there exists a file named track17.ogg, assume that this is an Ogg Vorbis encoded version of the audio track, and play it.
  3. Otherwise, if there exists a file named track17.mp3, assume that this is an MP3 encoded version of the audio track, and play it.
  4. Otherwise, try to play the audio track directly from the CD.
Note that FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and MP3 are all optional features: It's possible to build version of ScummVM that doesn't support either of them. I'm fairly sure the official Windows version of ScummVM supports them all, and I guess the Mac version does as well. Playing the audio from the CD is also an optional feature, since ScummVM may be running on a platform that doesn't even have a CD player. I imagine it should be working on most desktop systems though if there is more than one CD player, ScummVM may pick the wrong one by default.

Anyway, assuming that your files are MP3 files they ought to work. Have you tried playing them in another music player, to see that they seem ok?

Other than that, I can only think of unlikely reasons for failure. (E.g. if you change the music volume in ScummVM's settings to 0, you will hear doors opening and closing, but not the music.)
joshhomme

Post by joshhomme »

I played the tracks in iTunes program and they all work fine, so the music itself isn't corrupted or anything. I also converted them into mp3 files (and renamed them "track1.mp3", then track2, track3, etc) and placed them into the same file directory. They still don't play.

I checked my audio and all the levels are fine. Since I bought the Monkey Madness, the other two games, MI 2 and MI 3, work fine in all respects. So it's the different system of MI 1.

I'm running it all on Windows XP. How do I go about converting my files to OGG or FLAC? I'm new to that stuff.

Thanks for all your help guys

One edit: I'm also running the 0.8.0 scummvm version