DOTT (CD), can I omit MONSTER.SOU?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

penguin

DOTT (CD), can I omit MONSTER.SOU?

Post by penguin »

Hi!

I have a Nokia 9500 and have installed the SCUMMVM S80 edition. I have conquered the MI1 demo and everything seems to work fine - hooray!

I would like to play DOTT as well. "Unfortunately" I have the CD version of DOTT. The SOU file is simply too large for my phone but I would still like to play the game without any speech.

Therefore I have only copied TENTACLE.000 and TENTACLE.001 to my phone. The game (and the ScummVM application) quits right after the initial maelstrom-like animation (with sound). I suppose the game crashes after not being able to access MONSTER.SOU. I have tried to upload a zero-byte MONSTER.SOU with the same result.

Is there any way to create a dummy MONSTER.SOU file or otherwise specify that this file isn't necessary?

(I downloaded the DOTT demo as well - it seemed to be stuck at the very first animation where green tentacle tells purple tentacle that he should not drink that - the animation goes on but I can't get past this first "speech"... this could be a controller issue though)
Isaac_A_Steiner

Post by Isaac_A_Steiner »

Using the compression tool compress_summ_sou you can compress the monster.sou file to virtually any size you want...

Isaac
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Isaac_A_Steiner wrote:Using the compression tool compress_summ_sou you can compress the monster.sou file to virtually any size you want...

Isaac

I strongly recommend to use the ScummVM 0.8.0 tools to compress your soundfiles.

Best regards

Joachim
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

This sounds like a nice-to-have feature in general:

Even if the game version uses speech, if the monster.sou file (or some compressed version thereof) is not found, the game should just run without sound/speech.
Can't be that hard to implement ;)

--Darkstar
clem

Post by clem »

in this case the obvious answer is:

"just send the patch when you're finished writing it!"
penguin

Post by penguin »

Hi,
Isaac_A_Steiner wrote:Using the compression tool compress_summ_sou you can compress the monster.sou file to virtually any size you want...
Okay, I tried:

Code: Select all

compress_scumm_sou --vorbis -b 4000 -q 0 MONSTER.SOU
.. but the output is still a whooping 60MB file (i think it still encodes at 11. I really don't need sound and I can't think of how to reduce the file even further. Is the MONSTER.SOU file structured in a simple way so it could be easy to create a dummy .SOU with empty samples?

Even though I'm not able to produce a patch I would still be a fan of the feature of running the game without sound/speech (as an option or based of the lack of MONSTER.*)
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Start DOTT and enter the menu *quickly* (before it crashes), using F5 (or rather the key which correspongs to F5 on your phone).
Select options and deactivate the "enable speech" option, select "show subtitles" instead.

Worked fine on my PC.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Dark-Star wrote:This sounds like a nice-to-have feature in general:

Even if the game version uses speech, if the monster.sou file (or some compressed version thereof) is not found, the game should just run without sound/speech.
Can't be that hard to implement ;)
This was actually the default behaviour pre-0.8.0, and I have no idea why it was changed.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Couldn't you just extract all sound files from monster.sou, ogg-compress a 0-second-WAV-file, use it for ALL sounds in monster.sou and sou-compress the things back?! :?:
penguin

Post by penguin »

lavosspawn wrote:Start DOTT and enter the menu *quickly* (before it crashes), using F5 (or rather the key which correspongs to F5 on your phone).
Select options and deactivate the "enable speech" option, select "show subtitles" instead.
Great - that worked! Now I have completed DOTT without any problems at all. Everything worked surprisingly well.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

joostp wrote:This was actually the default behaviour pre-0.8.0, and I have no idea why it was changed.
Well, unfortunately, it's my experience as well that 0.8.0pre DID work better than 0.8.0.

Especially after CVS 10/23/2005 many things got worse.

For example some FMTOWNS Kanji games broke after above mentioned CVS.

But I hope that the next version fixes those bugs.

Best regards