ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge

ScummVM :: Forums > Archives: Help > Sam and Max Crash, PSP

Author    Thread    
Derwin
(derwinium)

SourceForge User
Sam and Max Crash, PSP

I have a version of SCUMMVM that was ported to the PSP. I own Sam and Max from a long time ago on a Mac disc, but apparently when I dropped the Data file from the CD into the directory SCUMMVM was unable to find it. Therefore I
used a disc that came with a pre-order of LucasArts' Armed and Dangerous which included Sam and Max for free.
I copied all the data into the directory and to my surprise the game worked. But now, at an exact spot in the game, when you first enter Trixie's tent after getting past the firebreather, Sam walks in, opens his mouth to say something, and then the console comes down and says:

ERROR: startSfxSound failed to load sound

well then! is there anything i could do about it? it's pretty cryptic. thanks guys.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:33 am 

Joost Peters
(joostp)

SourceForge User
RE: Sam and Max Crash, PSP

Yes, this is a known problem with A
&D-preorder version of S&M.
See also http://www.aarongiles.com/old2003.html (12/6/2003):

"
I finally got ahold of a copy of the Armed&Dangerous demo disk, which as I mentioned a while back has a free copy of Sam&Max Hit the Road on it using my new SCUMM engine. Sadly, there seems to have been an error while mastering the disks. Several people have mentioned that sound cuts out when reaching the circus tent, and sure enough it does. A little investigation has shown that the last 16MB or so of the file"MONSTER.SOU"is all zeros on the CD. I haven't heard anything from LucasArts regarding a potential fix for this, but if you have the original DOS CDs, you can take"Sam&Max Hit the Road.exe"from the new CD and copy it to your hard disk, then insert your DOS CD and run the new executable. Alternatively, you should be able to copy the entire SAMNMAX folder from the new CD, along with"Sam&Max Hit the Road.exe"to your hard disk, then copy over the new"MONSTER.SOU"with one from the DOS version. If I hear any news from LucasArts on this matter, I'll keep you posted!"
I don't think there's anything you can do about this.
Your Mac version should work though, either verbatim or after
"rescumm-ing"(see the README / FAQ for more information).

Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:07 pm 

Derwin
(derwinium)

SourceForge User

I have determined that my
"Sam And Max Data"file that which came on the Macintosh version of said game is a .BIN file. Unforunately, OS X sees these as ISO-like formats with which to burn CDs, so I cannot pry the BIN apart to pick out that one"MONSTER.SOU"file. Do you know about any programs I could use to extract the files from this archive?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:50 pm 

Joost Peters
(joostp)

SourceForge User

http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php#AEN195

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:53 am